Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duntulm Castle & Armadale Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_UC2568_P008
PLACENAME
Duntulm
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
38266
KEYWORDS
castles
Duntulm
Armadale
MacDonalds
clans
battles
houses
Duntulm Castle & Armadale Castle

Duntulm Castle is situated 26 miles north of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. It was originally a Pictish fort but its ownership later alternated between the MacDonalds and the Macleods until the Battle of Trotternish in the 16th century when the MacDonalds gained control of the whole peninsula. Duntulm remained a MacDonald stronghold until the family moved to Monkstadt in 1730.

In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a Gillespie Graham design in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971.

These photographs were taken from 'The Misty Isle of Skye' by J A MacCulloch

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duntulm Castle & Armadale Castle

INVERNESS

1900s

castles; Duntulm; Armadale; MacDonalds; clans; battles; houses

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (photographs)

Duntulm Castle is situated 26 miles north of Portree, on the Isle of Skye. It was originally a Pictish fort but its ownership later alternated between the MacDonalds and the Macleods until the Battle of Trotternish in the 16th century when the MacDonalds gained control of the whole peninsula. Duntulm remained a MacDonald stronghold until the family moved to Monkstadt in 1730.<br /> <br /> In 1790, the first Lord MacDonald had a mansion house built at Armadale on the Sleat Peninsula in Skye. The house was extended to a Gillespie Graham design in 1815 to form Armadale Castle. The MacDonald family eventually left the castle in 1925 to move to a smaller house nearby. The castle remained the seat of the MacDonalds of Sleat until it was purchased by the Clan Donald Lands Trust in 1971.<br /> <br /> These photographs were taken from 'The Misty Isle of Skye' by J A MacCulloch