Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Alexander Ross
EXTERNAL ID
AB_INVTOWNHOUSE07_08
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
1896
PERIOD
1880s; 1890s
CREATOR
George Reid
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
383
KEYWORDS
Inverness Town house
provosts
portraits
George Reid
architects
St Andrew's Cathedral
Free North Church
Field Club
Alexander Ross

This portrait of Alexander Ross hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. It was painted in 1896 by George Reid.

Alexander Ross was born in Forfarshire, the son of the architect James Ross. The family moved to Inverness in 1842 and Ross studied at Bell's Institution, now Inverness Library. He followed in his father's footsteps becoming a renowned architect throughout the Highlands. He designed more than 650 buildings. Two of the best known are St. Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral and the Free North Church in Inverness.

Ross joined Inverness Town Council in 1881 and served as provost from 1889 to 1895. He was a director of a number of companies and public bodies. He also helped found the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club and presided over the Inverness Architectural Association from 1917 to 1920. He died on 17th May 1925

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Alexander Ross

1880s; 1890s

Inverness Town house; provosts; portraits; George Reid; architects; St Andrew's Cathedral; Free North Church; Field Club

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This portrait of Alexander Ross hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. It was painted in 1896 by George Reid. <br /> <br /> Alexander Ross was born in Forfarshire, the son of the architect James Ross. The family moved to Inverness in 1842 and Ross studied at Bell's Institution, now Inverness Library. He followed in his father's footsteps becoming a renowned architect throughout the Highlands. He designed more than 650 buildings. Two of the best known are St. Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral and the Free North Church in Inverness.<br /> <br /> Ross joined Inverness Town Council in 1881 and served as provost from 1889 to 1895. He was a director of a number of companies and public bodies. He also helped found the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club and presided over the Inverness Architectural Association from 1917 to 1920. He died on 17th May 1925