Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sketch of Hilton of Cadboll Stone
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_U_172_P016
PLACENAME
Hilton of Cadboll
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fearn
DATE OF IMAGE
1788
PERIOD
1780s
CREATOR
Peter Mazell
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
38318
KEYWORDS
Pictish stones
stones
carved stones
carvings
Picts
standing stones
symbols
Sketch of Hilton of Cadboll Stone

The Pictish cross slab at Hilton of Cadboll stood beside the ruined mediaeval chapel of St Mary's until 1676 when the ornamentation on the cross side was chiselled off so that the stone could be used as a grave slab. The stone was too heavy to move and was discarded. It was later removed to Invergordon Castle and then to the British Museum in London before being moved to the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, where it remains.

The reverse side of the class II stone has three panels. The top panel shows a double-disc and z-rod above a crescent and v-rod and two discs. The middle panel shows a hunting scene with two warriors, two trumpeters and a deer being attacked by two hounds. Also in the scene is a female side-saddle rider with another rider. A mirror and comb case are shown beside them.

The bottom panel contains an interlocking spiral design and there is an inhabited scroll design going up both sides of the stone face. The lower half of the bottom panel was missing until 2001, when it was found buried near the chapel ruins.

This illustration was taken from 'Remarkable Ruins and Romantic Prospects', by Charles Cordiner (1788)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sketch of Hilton of Cadboll Stone

ROSS: Fearn

1780s

Pictish stones; stones; carved stones; carvings; Picts; standing stones; symbols

Highland Libraries

Remarkable Ruins and Romantic Prospects

The Pictish cross slab at Hilton of Cadboll stood beside the ruined mediaeval chapel of St Mary's until 1676 when the ornamentation on the cross side was chiselled off so that the stone could be used as a grave slab. The stone was too heavy to move and was discarded. It was later removed to Invergordon Castle and then to the British Museum in London before being moved to the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, where it remains.<br /> <br /> The reverse side of the class II stone has three panels. The top panel shows a double-disc and z-rod above a crescent and v-rod and two discs. The middle panel shows a hunting scene with two warriors, two trumpeters and a deer being attacked by two hounds. Also in the scene is a female side-saddle rider with another rider. A mirror and comb case are shown beside them.<br /> <br /> The bottom panel contains an interlocking spiral design and there is an inhabited scroll design going up both sides of the stone face. The lower half of the bottom panel was missing until 2001, when it was found buried near the chapel ruins.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'Remarkable Ruins and Romantic Prospects', by Charles Cordiner (1788)