Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cottages and fishing boats, Barra
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_94052_11_02
PLACENAME
Barra
DISTRICT
Barra
DATE OF IMAGE
1909
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library
ASSET ID
38677
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
boats
fishing
islands
Cottages and fishing boats, Barra

Cottages and fishing boats on Barra. Boats could come from anywhere in Scotland and the collection here includes a boat registered in Peterhead.

Barra is a small island to the south end of the Western Isles. It measures eight miles by five. The island was granted to Gilleonan MacNeil in 1427 by the Lord of the Isles. The island was sold to Colonel Gordon of Cluny in the 19th century and most of the people were cleared off the land to make way for sheep. The MacNeils bought back the estate during the 20th century.

The major archive of monochrome topographical views by James Valentine & Co. is held by the University of St Andrews Library. For further details of this collection please contact the Library, or refer to Special Collections at St Andrews


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Edinburgh Central Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cottages and fishing boats, Barra

1900s

houses; buildings; boats; fishing; islands

Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library

I F Grant Photographic Archive

Cottages and fishing boats on Barra. Boats could come from anywhere in Scotland and the collection here includes a boat registered in Peterhead.<br /> <br /> Barra is a small island to the south end of the Western Isles. It measures eight miles by five. The island was granted to Gilleonan MacNeil in 1427 by the Lord of the Isles. The island was sold to Colonel Gordon of Cluny in the 19th century and most of the people were cleared off the land to make way for sheep. The MacNeils bought back the estate during the 20th century.<br /> <br /> The major archive of monochrome topographical views by James Valentine & Co. is held by the University of St Andrews Library. For further details of this collection please contact the Library, or refer to <a href="http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/specialcollections/"target="_blank">Special Collections at St Andrews</a> <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: central.edsc.library@edinburgh.gov.uk">Edinburgh Central Library</a>