Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Clachan at Obbe or Leverburgh
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_94130_13_02
PLACENAME
Leverburgh; Obbe
DISTRICT
Harris
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Harris
SOURCE
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library
ASSET ID
38739
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
villages
islands
Clachan at Obbe or Leverburgh

The village of Leverburgh in Harris was originally called An t-Ob, or Obbe in English. Lord Leverhulme, the founder of Lever Brothers - Unilever, bought Lewis and Harris in 1918. When he turned his attention to Harris in the 1920s An t-Ob, in South Harris, was to be the centre of a fishing empire. The village was renamed Leverburgh, boats were built and equipped, and smoking, refrigeration, warehouse and accommodation facilities were set up. There was even a railway from the pier to the kippering sheds and plans to extend it to the east coast. For about a year everything went well but Leverhulme died of pneumonia in 1925 and, after looking at the finances, his accountants sold everything for scrap.

The photograph shows the clachan, a group of old houses which stood where An Clachan shop stands today


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Edinburgh Central Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Clachan at Obbe or Leverburgh

INVERNESS: Harris

houses; buildings; villages; islands

Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library

I F Grant Photographic Archive

The village of Leverburgh in Harris was originally called An t-Ob, or Obbe in English. Lord Leverhulme, the founder of Lever Brothers - Unilever, bought Lewis and Harris in 1918. When he turned his attention to Harris in the 1920s An t-Ob, in South Harris, was to be the centre of a fishing empire. The village was renamed Leverburgh, boats were built and equipped, and smoking, refrigeration, warehouse and accommodation facilities were set up. There was even a railway from the pier to the kippering sheds and plans to extend it to the east coast. For about a year everything went well but Leverhulme died of pneumonia in 1925 and, after looking at the finances, his accountants sold everything for scrap.<br /> <br /> The photograph shows the clachan, a group of old houses which stood where An Clachan shop stands today <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: central.edsc.library@edinburgh.gov.uk">Edinburgh Central Library</a><br />