Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Villagers outside their houses, St Kilda
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_97107_04_05
PLACENAME
St Kilda
DISTRICT
Harris
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Harris
SOURCE
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library
ASSET ID
38827
KEYWORDS
islands
villages
buildings
Villagers outside their houses, St Kilda

This photograph shows villagers outside their houses in the village street, St Kilda. The white building in the centre was the village post office. It is no longer standing.

The archipelago of St Kilda, the remotest part of the British Isles, lies 41 miles (66km) west of Benbecula. It consists of the islands of Hirta (the largest and also known as St Kilda), Soay, Boreray and the Dun.

The people of St Kilda, who were a Gaelic-speaking population, rented their land from a landlord on the mainland, latterly the MacLeods of Dunvegan, whose factor arrived by boat once a year to collect the rents. Contact with the outside world increased as the 19th century progressed. Early visitors to the islands describe a population who enjoyed music, song and dance but later accounts, after the arrival of the Free Church and the strict observance of the Sabbath, describe a much a less joyful population.

Periods of food shortage and illness led to a decline in population until, in 1930, the remaining 36 islanders asked to be evacuated to the mainland


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Edinburgh Central Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Villagers outside their houses, St Kilda

INVERNESS: Harris

islands; villages; buildings

Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library

I F Grant Photographic Archive

This photograph shows villagers outside their houses in the village street, St Kilda. The white building in the centre was the village post office. It is no longer standing.<br /> <br /> The archipelago of St Kilda, the remotest part of the British Isles, lies 41 miles (66km) west of Benbecula. It consists of the islands of Hirta (the largest and also known as St Kilda), Soay, Boreray and the Dun.<br /> <br /> The people of St Kilda, who were a Gaelic-speaking population, rented their land from a landlord on the mainland, latterly the MacLeods of Dunvegan, whose factor arrived by boat once a year to collect the rents. Contact with the outside world increased as the 19th century progressed. Early visitors to the islands describe a population who enjoyed music, song and dance but later accounts, after the arrival of the Free Church and the strict observance of the Sabbath, describe a much a less joyful population.<br /> <br /> Periods of food shortage and illness led to a decline in population until, in 1930, the remaining 36 islanders asked to be evacuated to the mainland <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: central.edsc.library@edinburgh.gov.uk">Edinburgh Central Library</a>