Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
House with roofing timbers, Polnish
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_97107_19_01
PLACENAME
Polnish
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
SOURCE
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library
ASSET ID
38881
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
construction
roofs
House with roofing timbers, Polnish

This house was photographed at Polnish, between Lochailort and Arnipol. It shows the dry stone walls of the house with wooden roofing timbers resting on the inner wall. Roofing timbers were extremely important as wood was scarce in many parts of the north west Highlands and on the islands. It was not uncommon for families to take their roofing timbers with them if they were moving house.

There has been a settlement at the end of Loch Ailort since before 1650 when an inn was recorded there. By 1750 the settlement was big enough to be included on the map as 'Kinloch Hoylort'. In the early 1800s Thomas Telford's 'Road to the Isles' was built through Lochailort on its way from Fort William to Arisaig and later Mallaig. The West Highland Railway also passes through Lochailort. In around 1900 the name of the village was changed from Kinlochailort to Lochailort. This was welcomed by some but opposed by others who argued that Kinlochailort was a settlement and Loch Ailort was a body of water


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Edinburgh Central Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

House with roofing timbers, Polnish

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

houses; buildings; construction; roofs

Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library

I F Grant Photographic Archive

This house was photographed at Polnish, between Lochailort and Arnipol. It shows the dry stone walls of the house with wooden roofing timbers resting on the inner wall. Roofing timbers were extremely important as wood was scarce in many parts of the north west Highlands and on the islands. It was not uncommon for families to take their roofing timbers with them if they were moving house.<br /> <br /> There has been a settlement at the end of Loch Ailort since before 1650 when an inn was recorded there. By 1750 the settlement was big enough to be included on the map as 'Kinloch Hoylort'. In the early 1800s Thomas Telford's 'Road to the Isles' was built through Lochailort on its way from Fort William to Arisaig and later Mallaig. The West Highland Railway also passes through Lochailort. In around 1900 the name of the village was changed from Kinlochailort to Lochailort. This was welcomed by some but opposed by others who argued that Kinlochailort was a settlement and Loch Ailort was a body of water <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: central.edsc.library@edinburgh.gov.uk">Edinburgh Central Library</a><br />