Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Water powered mill at Reelig, Kirkhill
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_97193_03_08
PLACENAME
Reelig
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kirkhill
SOURCE
Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library
ASSET ID
38909
KEYWORDS
mills
estates
power
trees
buildings
Water powered mill at Reelig, Kirkhill

Reelig Estate is an area near Kirkhill and Moniack, between Inverness and Beauly. The estate is owned by the Fraser family. Reelig Glen, part of the original estate, was sold to the Forestry Commission in 1949. The area is well known for its trees, including the tallest tree in Britain, a Douglas fir known as Dughall Mor. Most of the trees were planted by James Baillie Fraser (1783-1856), a Scottish traveller and explorer. The name is thought to derive from the Gaelic for 'burial ground' in possible reference to a site near to Reelig House.

The mill is this photograph is a meal and corn mill which dates from around 1800. It was powered by water. A stream would turn a paddle wheel which would then turn the grinding mechanism inside the mill


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Edinburgh Central Library

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Water powered mill at Reelig, Kirkhill

INVERNESS: Kirkhill

mills; estates; power; trees; buildings

Edinburgh and Scottish Collection, Edinburgh Central Library

I F Grant Photographic Archive

Reelig Estate is an area near Kirkhill and Moniack, between Inverness and Beauly. The estate is owned by the Fraser family. Reelig Glen, part of the original estate, was sold to the Forestry Commission in 1949. The area is well known for its trees, including the tallest tree in Britain, a Douglas fir known as Dughall Mor. Most of the trees were planted by James Baillie Fraser (1783-1856), a Scottish traveller and explorer. The name is thought to derive from the Gaelic for 'burial ground' in possible reference to a site near to Reelig House.<br /> <br /> The mill is this photograph is a meal and corn mill which dates from around 1800. It was powered by water. A stream would turn a paddle wheel which would then turn the grinding mechanism inside the mill <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: central.edsc.library@edinburgh.gov.uk">Edinburgh Central Library</a><br />