Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Course
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_008
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1895
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39101
KEYWORDS
golf
sports
games
buildings
Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Course

This undated photograph of the golf course was taken from Fortrose. A six hole golf course was opened here in June 1889, and by 1924 had been extended to eighteen holes.

The Black Isle Combination Poorhouse and Chanonry Lighthouse can also be seen in the photograph. The Black Isle Combination Poorhouse was built in 1859. Combination Poorhouses were so called because they were funded by a combination (or union) of parishes, in this case Avoch, Cromarty, Killearnan, Knockbain, Resolis, Rosemarkie and Urquhart. The poorhouse became the Ness House Poor Law Institution after 1930, and was scheduled for closure in 1946.

Chanonry Lighthouse was engineered by Alan Stevenson and became operational in 1846. The station was automated in 1984.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Course

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1890s

golf; sports; games; buildings;

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

This undated photograph of the golf course was taken from Fortrose. A six hole golf course was opened here in June 1889, and by 1924 had been extended to eighteen holes. <br /> <br /> The Black Isle Combination Poorhouse and Chanonry Lighthouse can also be seen in the photograph. The Black Isle Combination Poorhouse was built in 1859. Combination Poorhouses were so called because they were funded by a combination (or union) of parishes, in this case Avoch, Cromarty, Killearnan, Knockbain, Resolis, Rosemarkie and Urquhart. The poorhouse became the Ness House Poor Law Institution after 1930, and was scheduled for closure in 1946. <br /> <br /> Chanonry Lighthouse was engineered by Alan Stevenson and became operational in 1846. The station was automated in 1984. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>