Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
King Haakon VII of Norway at Fortrose Golf Course
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_098
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1942
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39177
KEYWORDS
kings
princes
royal family
royalty
golf courses
World War 2
World War II
Second World War
King Haakon VII of Norway at Fortrose Golf Course

This photograph, taken by Mr Rod Anderson, shows six military gentlemen on the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Course in 1942. The first man on the left is King Haakon VII of Norway, while the Crown Prince is fifth from the left.

Fortrose golf course and clubhouse were requisitioned by the military authorities in 1940. The area was used as a training ground for the D-Day landings in Normandy. After the war was over, the War Department awarded the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Club £4000 in compensation for the damage done to the course. By 1947 all 18 holes had been restored to a satisfactory standard.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

King Haakon VII of Norway at Fortrose Golf Course

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1940s

kings; princes; royal family; royalty; golf courses; World War 2; World War II; Second World War

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph, taken by Mr Rod Anderson, shows six military gentlemen on the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Course in 1942. The first man on the left is King Haakon VII of Norway, while the Crown Prince is fifth from the left.<br /> <br /> Fortrose golf course and clubhouse were requisitioned by the military authorities in 1940. The area was used as a training ground for the D-Day landings in Normandy. After the war was over, the War Department awarded the Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Club £4000 in compensation for the damage done to the course. By 1947 all 18 holes had been restored to a satisfactory standard. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>