Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dr Nicol
EXTERNAL ID
AB_INVTOWNHOUSE07_17
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1850s
CREATOR
Andrew Davidson
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
392
KEYWORDS
Inverness Town House
busts
Andrew Davidson
provosts
Teawig
William Inglis
Campfield
Ladies Walk
agriculture
woollens
Holm Mills
cholera
Dr Nicol

This marble bust of Dr John Inglis Nicol, by Andrew Davidson, is on display in the main hall of Inverness Town House.

John Nicol was born at Teawig near Beauly in 1788. He was apprenticed to Dr Kennedy in Inverness but finished his professional education in London. The degree of M.D. was conferred on him by the University of Tubingen in Germany. He came back to work as a medical practitioner in Inverness in 1812.

Dr Nicol took a keen interest in municipal affairs and served as provost from 1840 to 1843. He worked particularly hard to improve the cleanliness and sewage system in the town.

An earlier family member, William Inglis, served as provost from1797 to 1800.

Dr Nicol studied chemistry and agriculture. His farm at Campfield was the scene of experiments in cultivation and crop testing. Campfield no longer exists but it was in the area of Inverness which now includes Ladies Walk. He also inherited a small woollen mill, Holm Mills, on the banks of the River Ness. He turned round the failing business, adding new buildings and machinery. A much improved manufacturing process produced fine quality fabrics.

Dr Nicol died of cholera, contracted while attending his patients, in 1849.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dr Nicol

1850s

Inverness Town House; busts; Andrew Davidson; provosts; Teawig; William Inglis; Campfield; Ladies Walk; agriculture; woollens; Holm Mills; cholera

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This marble bust of Dr John Inglis Nicol, by Andrew Davidson, is on display in the main hall of Inverness Town House.<br /> <br /> John Nicol was born at Teawig near Beauly in 1788. He was apprenticed to Dr Kennedy in Inverness but finished his professional education in London. The degree of M.D. was conferred on him by the University of Tubingen in Germany. He came back to work as a medical practitioner in Inverness in 1812. <br /> <br /> Dr Nicol took a keen interest in municipal affairs and served as provost from 1840 to 1843. He worked particularly hard to improve the cleanliness and sewage system in the town.<br /> <br /> An earlier family member, William Inglis, served as provost from1797 to 1800. <br /> <br /> Dr Nicol studied chemistry and agriculture. His farm at Campfield was the scene of experiments in cultivation and crop testing. Campfield no longer exists but it was in the area of Inverness which now includes Ladies Walk. He also inherited a small woollen mill, Holm Mills, on the banks of the River Ness. He turned round the failing business, adding new buildings and machinery. A much improved manufacturing process produced fine quality fabrics. <br /> <br /> Dr Nicol died of cholera, contracted while attending his patients, in 1849.