Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Laying of the foundation stone for Fortrose Academy, 1891
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_132
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
1891
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39210
KEYWORDS
Laying of the foundation stone for Fortrose Academy, 1891

This photograph shows a large group of men at the laying of the foundation stone for Fortrose Academy in 1891. Flat caps, bowlers and top hats are all in evidence.

There has been a school in Fortrose - or Chanonry, as it was earlier called - since the medieval period in the heyday of the Cathedral. With the coming of the Reformation in 1560, the Cathedral fell into a state of disrepair but Fortrose remained a seat of learning. By 1584 it had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences, especially law and divinity.

Fortrose Academy was established in 1791, with classes held in the Chapter House and Seaforth House, and was renowned for its education. In 1891 it moved to its present site in Academy Street, to a building designed by John Robertson. The tall round clock tower of this original building still stands out among the later extensions.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Laying of the foundation stone for Fortrose Academy, 1891

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1890s

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph shows a large group of men at the laying of the foundation stone for Fortrose Academy in 1891. Flat caps, bowlers and top hats are all in evidence.<br /> <br /> There has been a school in Fortrose - or Chanonry, as it was earlier called - since the medieval period in the heyday of the Cathedral. With the coming of the Reformation in 1560, the Cathedral fell into a state of disrepair but Fortrose remained a seat of learning. By 1584 it had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences, especially law and divinity. <br /> <br /> Fortrose Academy was established in 1791, with classes held in the Chapter House and Seaforth House, and was renowned for its education. In 1891 it moved to its present site in Academy Street, to a building designed by John Robertson. The tall round clock tower of this original building still stands out among the later extensions. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>