Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Grammar School and Teachers' House, Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_171
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39234
KEYWORDS
schools
grammar schools
academies
schoolmasters
teacher
teachers
listed buildings
Old Grammar School and Teachers' House, Fortrose

Seaforth House on Academy Street, Fortrose, was once a home of the Seaforth Mackenzies. The building on the left was later used to accommodate classes of the town's grammar school, while that on the right housed the school staff. The teachers' house was built in 1783 and is now a Grade B Listed Building.

There has been a school in Fortrose - or Chanonry, as it was earlier called - since the medieval period in the heyday of the Cathedral. With the coming of the Reformation in 1560, the Cathedral fell into a state of disrepair but Fortrose remained a seat of learning. By 1584 it had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences, especially law and divinity.

Fortrose Academy was established from the old grammar school in 1791, with classes held in the Chapter House and Seaforth House, and was renowned for its education. In 1891 it moved to its present site in Academy Street, to a building designed by John Robertson.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Grammar School and Teachers' House, Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

schools; grammar schools; academies; schoolmasters; teacher; teachers; listed buildings

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

Seaforth House on Academy Street, Fortrose, was once a home of the Seaforth Mackenzies. The building on the left was later used to accommodate classes of the town's grammar school, while that on the right housed the school staff. The teachers' house was built in 1783 and is now a Grade B Listed Building.<br /> <br /> There has been a school in Fortrose - or Chanonry, as it was earlier called - since the medieval period in the heyday of the Cathedral. With the coming of the Reformation in 1560, the Cathedral fell into a state of disrepair but Fortrose remained a seat of learning. By 1584 it had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences, especially law and divinity. <br /> <br /> Fortrose Academy was established from the old grammar school in 1791, with classes held in the Chapter House and Seaforth House, and was renowned for its education. In 1891 it moved to its present site in Academy Street, to a building designed by John Robertson. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>