Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rosemarkie fron the air, 1960s
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_243
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39282
KEYWORDS
villages
houses
aerial photography
aerial photographs
Rosemarkie fron the air, 1960s

This aerial view of Rosemarkie was taken between 1960 and 1964. Rosemarkie is a village on the south coast of the Black Isle. Its beach is renowned for its red sandstone rocks dotted around the shoreline. The sand surrounding the rocks gives off a pink hue and the shade is also reflected in the red sandstone of the local houses.

Just above the beach is Rosemarkie Parish Church, built between 1818 and 1821. There is evidence that a Christian settlement existed on or near this site as early as the 7th century and was then taken over in the 8th century by St Boniface, also known as St Curadan. Later, in the 12th century, the first Cathedral of the Diocese of Ross was erected on the same site.

To the left of the churchyard is The Marine Hotel on Marine Terrace. It is a late-Victorian Italianate villa, much altered and extended since it was first built, and now known as the Marine House Nursing Home.

Today the village has much to offer tourists, including the Groam House Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a golf course, as well as its secluded beach. The opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has given easy access for day trippers from Inverness to this pretty, tranquil spot.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rosemarkie fron the air, 1960s

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1960s

villages; houses; aerial photography; aerial photographs

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

This aerial view of Rosemarkie was taken between 1960 and 1964. Rosemarkie is a village on the south coast of the Black Isle. Its beach is renowned for its red sandstone rocks dotted around the shoreline. The sand surrounding the rocks gives off a pink hue and the shade is also reflected in the red sandstone of the local houses.<br /> <br /> Just above the beach is Rosemarkie Parish Church, built between 1818 and 1821. There is evidence that a Christian settlement existed on or near this site as early as the 7th century and was then taken over in the 8th century by St Boniface, also known as St Curadan. Later, in the 12th century, the first Cathedral of the Diocese of Ross was erected on the same site. <br /> <br /> To the left of the churchyard is The Marine Hotel on Marine Terrace. It is a late-Victorian Italianate villa, much altered and extended since it was first built, and now known as the Marine House Nursing Home. <br /> <br /> Today the village has much to offer tourists, including the Groam House Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a golf course, as well as its secluded beach. The opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has given easy access for day trippers from Inverness to this pretty, tranquil spot. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>