Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Carved memorial at Fortrose Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
ROMGH_PA_94_308
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
SOURCE
Groam House Museum
ASSET ID
39395
KEYWORDS
carvings
Carved memorial at Fortrose Cathedral

This photograph shows the detail of a memorial tablet to Sir Kenneth Mackenzie in Fortrose Cathedral. He is depicted as Death holding onto his castle of Redcastle. In the 17th century a section on the west side of Fortrose Cathedral became a burial ground for the Mackenzies of Seaforth. The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Mackenzie family and a memorial, built about 1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.

Fortrose Cathedral was built when Bishop Robert of the Diocese of Ross moved from Rosemarkie to Fortrose in the mid-13th century. It was dedicated to Saints Peter and Curitan. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. After the Reformation the roof lead was taken by William, Lord Ruthven, and the building fell into disrepair. Tradition has it that much of the red sandstone was later removed by Oliver Cromwell to build his fort in Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains of the original building is the south side of the nave and the undercroft or sacristy of the chapter house. The outline of the original building can be seen on the grass.


This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email Groam House Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Carved memorial at Fortrose Cathedral

ROSS: Rosemarkie

carvings;

Groam House Museum

Groam House Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph shows the detail of a memorial tablet to Sir Kenneth Mackenzie in Fortrose Cathedral. He is depicted as Death holding onto his castle of Redcastle. In the 17th century a section on the west side of Fortrose Cathedral became a burial ground for the Mackenzies of Seaforth. The Cathedral contains many marble tablets commemorating members of the Mackenzie family and a memorial, built about 1800, to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coul.<br /> <br /> Fortrose Cathedral was built when Bishop Robert of the Diocese of Ross moved from Rosemarkie to Fortrose in the mid-13th century. It was dedicated to Saints Peter and Curitan. Building ceased during the Wars of Independence and was resumed in the late 14th century. After the Reformation the roof lead was taken by William, Lord Ruthven, and the building fell into disrepair. Tradition has it that much of the red sandstone was later removed by Oliver Cromwell to build his fort in Inverness. The rest was taken by local villagers for their houses. All that remains of the original building is the south side of the nave and the undercroft or sacristy of the chapter house. The outline of the original building can be seen on the grass. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase. For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: admin@groamhouse.org.uk">Groam House Museum</a>