Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Graveslab, St Columba's Island, Skeabost, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
SLD_182_041
PLACENAME
Skeabost
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Olivia James
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
39486
KEYWORDS
gravestone
graveslabs
effigy
Skeabost island
Bishops of the Isles
graveyards
Graveslab, St Columba's Island, Skeabost, Skye

This 16th century grave slab lies in the graveyard on St Columba's (or Skeabost) Island on the River Snizort, Isle of Skye. The slab depicts a Gallowglass (mercenary warrior) wearing a quilted coat and holding a large sword. It is presumed to have been carved by the same person who produced the carving of John Macleod of Minginish, 10th Chief of the MacLeods of Harris, which lies in St Clement's Church, Rodel, on Harris. Another similar slab is located within the walls of the Chapel.

St Columba's Island is situated close to the old bridge across the River Snizort, some 6 miles from Portree, and is recognised as being one of the most important religious sites on Skye. The graveyard contains the ruins of two churches and an ancient burial site. The older but more intact building lies to the west and is known as the Chapel, or Teampall of St Columba (also Nicolson's Aisle, a reference to the suggestion that twenty eight of that clan are buried vertically within it). This chapel may date from the 11th century when it was the seat of the Episcopal Bishop of the Isles. The foundations of the Old Snizort Parish Church can also be discerned. They date from late medieval times and also probably served as the cathedral church of the Bishopric.


Olivia James
The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.
'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Graveslab, St Columba's Island, Skeabost, Skye

INVERNESS: Snizort

1980s

gravestone; graveslabs; effigy; Skeabost island; Bishops of the Isles; graveyards

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Olivia James Collection

This 16th century grave slab lies in the graveyard on St Columba's (or Skeabost) Island on the River Snizort, Isle of Skye. The slab depicts a Gallowglass (mercenary warrior) wearing a quilted coat and holding a large sword. It is presumed to have been carved by the same person who produced the carving of John Macleod of Minginish, 10th Chief of the MacLeods of Harris, which lies in St Clement's Church, Rodel, on Harris. Another similar slab is located within the walls of the Chapel.<br /> <br /> St Columba's Island is situated close to the old bridge across the River Snizort, some 6 miles from Portree, and is recognised as being one of the most important religious sites on Skye. The graveyard contains the ruins of two churches and an ancient burial site. The older but more intact building lies to the west and is known as the Chapel, or Teampall of St Columba (also Nicolson's Aisle, a reference to the suggestion that twenty eight of that clan are buried vertically within it). This chapel may date from the 11th century when it was the seat of the Episcopal Bishop of the Isles. The foundations of the Old Snizort Parish Church can also be discerned. They date from late medieval times and also probably served as the cathedral church of the Bishopric.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>Olivia James</b><br /> The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.<br /> 'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>