Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Camuslusta and Stein, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
SLD_182_043
PLACENAME
Camuslusta, Stein
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1970s; 1980s
CREATOR
Olivia James
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
39488
KEYWORDS
coast
Vaternish
housing
view
sea lochs
villages
landscapes
Camuslusta and Stein, Isle of Skye

A few whitewashed houses at Lusta edge the shoreline of Loch Bay. The village of Stein is tucked into the sheltered inlet beyond. The Waternish peninsula on the Isle of Skye juts out into the Little Minch and is flanked by Loch Dunvegan to the west and Loch Snizort to the east. The area has seen centuries of turmoil created by clan rivalry, bloody massacres and de-population due to the clearances.

Stein itself was destined to be one of the British Fisheries Society's planned fishing villages and detailed plans were drawn up by Thomas Telford in 1790 which incorporated a neo-classical church and schoolhouse, terraced houses and even fountains. The ambitious plan was not fulfilled due in part to the fragile Skye economy, the harshness of the climate and the unpredictable nature of the herring shoals. A few of the planned buildings were constructed but the village today is limited to an intermittent row of houses strung along the shore. These include the Inn built by Donald Maclean in 1800.


Olivia James
The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.
'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Camuslusta and Stein, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1970s; 1980s

coast; Vaternish; housing; view; sea lochs; villages; landscapes

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Olivia James Collection

A few whitewashed houses at Lusta edge the shoreline of Loch Bay. The village of Stein is tucked into the sheltered inlet beyond. The Waternish peninsula on the Isle of Skye juts out into the Little Minch and is flanked by Loch Dunvegan to the west and Loch Snizort to the east. The area has seen centuries of turmoil created by clan rivalry, bloody massacres and de-population due to the clearances.<br /> <br /> Stein itself was destined to be one of the British Fisheries Society's planned fishing villages and detailed plans were drawn up by Thomas Telford in 1790 which incorporated a neo-classical church and schoolhouse, terraced houses and even fountains. The ambitious plan was not fulfilled due in part to the fragile Skye economy, the harshness of the climate and the unpredictable nature of the herring shoals. A few of the planned buildings were constructed but the village today is limited to an intermittent row of houses strung along the shore. These include the Inn built by Donald Maclean in 1800.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>Olivia James</b><br /> The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.<br /> 'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />