Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Mary's, Kilmuir Churchyard, Dunvegan, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
SLD_182_046
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1970s; 1980s
CREATOR
Olivia James
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
39491
KEYWORDS
St Mary's Kilmuir
ruined church
churches
graveyards
churchyards
Clan Macleod
St Mary's, Kilmuir Churchyard, Dunvegan, Skye

This roofless ruined church, now consolidated, has a date of 1694 over the north entrance. It is situated in Kilmuir (Cille Mhuire in Gaelic) on the outskirts of the present village of Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye, the dedication to St Mary still reflected in the name of both the township and the graveyard.

The burial enclosure with its balustrade walls (just visible on the left of the photograph) dates from 1735. Once the parish church for Duirinish, some of the chiefs of Clan MacLeod are buried in the north aisle and chancel, the most recent being John MacLeod of MacLeod in February 2007, while generations of the Clan hereditary pipers, the MacCrimmons, are at rest in the graveyard. An early 18th century ashlar obelisk commemorates Lord Thomas Frazer, and some late medieval carved gravestones and 18th century tablestones are located within the walled enclosure surrounding the church.


Olivia James
The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.

'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Mary's, Kilmuir Churchyard, Dunvegan, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1970s; 1980s

St Mary's Kilmuir; ruined church; churches; graveyards; churchyards; Clan Macleod

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

Olivia James Collection

This roofless ruined church, now consolidated, has a date of 1694 over the north entrance. It is situated in Kilmuir (Cille Mhuire in Gaelic) on the outskirts of the present village of Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye, the dedication to St Mary still reflected in the name of both the township and the graveyard. <br /> <br /> The burial enclosure with its balustrade walls (just visible on the left of the photograph) dates from 1735. Once the parish church for Duirinish, some of the chiefs of Clan MacLeod are buried in the north aisle and chancel, the most recent being John MacLeod of MacLeod in February 2007, while generations of the Clan hereditary pipers, the MacCrimmons, are at rest in the graveyard. An early 18th century ashlar obelisk commemorates Lord Thomas Frazer, and some late medieval carved gravestones and 18th century tablestones are located within the walled enclosure surrounding the church.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>Olivia James</b><br /> The images in this collection are a selection from a set of high quality Agfachrome slides taken by Olivia James. Mrs James, a semi-professional photographer, took the photographs on visits to Skye between 1968 and 1989, using a Pentax S1A camera and CT 18 film. They record a variety of locations, people and activities which have now changed or indeed disappeared, and provide one person's view of the island through the camera lens. Born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire on 26th April 1932, Olive Grace James (née Purcell) moved to England in 1944, trained as a teacher and married Richard James in 1956. Her husband's forbears were from Skye and they began visiting on a regular basis in 1968. In addition to the slides, Mrs James has written an evocative account of her memories of places, events and people on Skye which she named 'Skye Magic', a copy of which is held at the Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre.<br /> <br /> 'Skye Magic' has been incorporated into her privately printed autobiography 'Neivie, Neivie, Nick, Nack' which she has kindly donated to various institutions including the Clan Donald Library on Skye, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow and the Weaver's Cottage, Kilbarchan. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br />