Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Inverness Town House - Regimental Colours 1

These colours hang in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. They are, from left to right, the regimental standard of the Highlanders, the standard of the Inverness Branch of the Old Contemptibles Association, the standard of the Highland Counties Branch of the Burma Star Association and the standard of the Highland Gunners.

The Highlanders were formed on 17th September 1994 by the amalgamation of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and the Gordon Highlanders. This standard was flown over the regiment's base during a tour in Northern Ireland in 1998. The Highlanders are a local regiment who recruit from the North and North east of Scotland. The regimental museum is situated at Fort George, east of Inverness.

The Old Contemptibles was the name give to veterans of the regular army who fought in World War I and who were awarded the Mons Star for service in France and Belgium between 5th August and 22nd November 1914. Kaiser Whilhelm referred to the British Expeditionary Forces to the western front as a 'contemptibly little army'. Contemptibly was mis-translated as contemptible - a nickname the men were happy to adopt. The standard of the Inverness branch of the Old Contemptible Association was presented to the Royal Burgh of Inverness on 4th May 1953 for safe-keeping.

Members of the Burma Star Association fought against the Japanese during 1941-45. The standard of the Highland Counties Branch of the Burma Star Association was dedicated on 29th April 1962. On 20th August 2002 the standard was laid up in the Town House.

The 19th Regiment Royal Artillery, The Highland Gunners, traditionally recruit from the Highland and Islands. This standard was flown over the regimental gun positions deployed at Malpolje, Mount Igam during the Bosnian War. During that period the regiment fired 487 rounds of ammunition on the Bosnian Serb Army which surrounded the city of Sarejvo. The action resulted in the lifting of the siege and the eventual signing of the peace agreement. The Highland Gunners received the Freedom of the City of Inverness on 10th March 1999. The regiment paraded through the town and the salute was taken by Provost Allan Sellar, Field Marshall The Lord Vincent and the Lord Lieutenant of Inverness, Lord Gray of Contin.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Town House - Regimental Colours 1

Inverness Town House; flags; standards; regiments; colours; Highlanders; Gunners; Contemptibles; Queen's Own Cameron; Gordons; Burma Star; Royal Artillery; parades; provosts, Allan Sellar; Lord Lieutenants

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

These colours hang in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall. They are, from left to right, the regimental standard of the Highlanders, the standard of the Inverness Branch of the Old Contemptibles Association, the standard of the Highland Counties Branch of the Burma Star Association and the standard of the Highland Gunners.<br /> <br /> The Highlanders were formed on 17th September 1994 by the amalgamation of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders and the Gordon Highlanders. This standard was flown over the regiment's base during a tour in Northern Ireland in 1998. The Highlanders are a local regiment who recruit from the North and North east of Scotland. The regimental museum is situated at Fort George, east of Inverness.<br /> <br /> The Old Contemptibles was the name give to veterans of the regular army who fought in World War I and who were awarded the Mons Star for service in France and Belgium between 5th August and 22nd November 1914. Kaiser Whilhelm referred to the British Expeditionary Forces to the western front as a 'contemptibly little army'. Contemptibly was mis-translated as contemptible - a nickname the men were happy to adopt. The standard of the Inverness branch of the Old Contemptible Association was presented to the Royal Burgh of Inverness on 4th May 1953 for safe-keeping.<br /> <br /> Members of the Burma Star Association fought against the Japanese during 1941-45. The standard of the Highland Counties Branch of the Burma Star Association was dedicated on 29th April 1962. On 20th August 2002 the standard was laid up in the Town House.<br /> <br /> The 19th Regiment Royal Artillery, The Highland Gunners, traditionally recruit from the Highland and Islands. This standard was flown over the regimental gun positions deployed at Malpolje, Mount Igam during the Bosnian War. During that period the regiment fired 487 rounds of ammunition on the Bosnian Serb Army which surrounded the city of Sarejvo. The action resulted in the lifting of the siege and the eventual signing of the peace agreement. The Highland Gunners received the Freedom of the City of Inverness on 10th March 1999. The regiment paraded through the town and the salute was taken by Provost Allan Sellar, Field Marshall The Lord Vincent and the Lord Lieutenant of Inverness, Lord Gray of Contin.