Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Scrabble Club Members, Muir of Ord
EXTERNAL ID
THCCP_DINGWALL_SCRABBLE
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
2004
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Alexander Collett
SOURCE
Highland Community Planning & Resources Project
ASSET ID
39976
KEYWORDS
villages
railways
clubs
board games
Scrabble Club Members, Muir of Ord

This photograph shows members of the Scrabble Club, Muir of Ord, Ross-shire. The club meets every Monday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm in the Church Hall, Seaforth Road for a few friendy games of scrabble. It was taken in August 2004 by Alexander Collett as part of 'Make the Muir Matter' project, a community planning exercise led by local residents and supported by partners of the Highland Wellbeing Alliance: Highland's Community Planning Partnership.

Muir of Ord is situated three miles north of Beauly and 14 miles northwest of Inverness. The original settlement was known as Tarradale which grew extensively during the 19th century as a consequence of whisky distilling and road and rail transport. A railway station was constructed at Tarradale in 1862, as part of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway. However, the railway named the station 'Muir of Ord' after the site of cattle markets that took place within a mile of the settlement. Over time, the name Tarradale was faded out and replaced by Muir of Ord.

For several years the village was situated on the A9 route north of Inverness but this changed with the construction of the Kessock Bridge in 1982. Today, despite the village being a quieter place, Muir of Ord's industries still include tourism, distilling and construction

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Scrabble Club Members, Muir of Ord

ROSS: Urray

2000s

villages; railways; clubs; board games

Highland Community Planning & Resources Project

Make the Muir Matter - Photographs of Muir of Ord

This photograph shows members of the Scrabble Club, Muir of Ord, Ross-shire. The club meets every Monday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm in the Church Hall, Seaforth Road for a few friendy games of scrabble. It was taken in August 2004 by Alexander Collett as part of 'Make the Muir Matter' project, a community planning exercise led by local residents and supported by partners of the Highland Wellbeing Alliance: Highland's Community Planning Partnership.<br /> <br /> Muir of Ord is situated three miles north of Beauly and 14 miles northwest of Inverness. The original settlement was known as Tarradale which grew extensively during the 19th century as a consequence of whisky distilling and road and rail transport. A railway station was constructed at Tarradale in 1862, as part of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway. However, the railway named the station 'Muir of Ord' after the site of cattle markets that took place within a mile of the settlement. Over time, the name Tarradale was faded out and replaced by Muir of Ord. <br /> <br /> For several years the village was situated on the A9 route north of Inverness but this changed with the construction of the Kessock Bridge in 1982. Today, despite the village being a quieter place, Muir of Ord's industries still include tourism, distilling and construction