Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV Isle of Lewis at the pier in Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0470
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40290
KEYWORDS
car ferries
passenger ferries
Cal Mac
Calmac
MV Isle of Lewis at the pier in Ullapool

A photograph of the MV Isle of Lewis at the Pier in Ullapool.

The MV Isle of Lewis is a ferry which sails between Ullapool and Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis. It is operated by Caledonian MacBrayne. It entered service in 1995, is 100 metres in length, and can make the crossing in two hours and forty-five minutes.

The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It was founded in 1788 as a planned village, designed for the British Fisheries Society by Thomas Telford. Although the herring fishing industry declined in the nineteenth century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV Isle of Lewis at the pier in Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

car ferries; passenger ferries; Cal Mac; Calmac

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

A photograph of the MV Isle of Lewis at the Pier in Ullapool.<br /> <br /> The MV Isle of Lewis is a ferry which sails between Ullapool and Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis. It is operated by Caledonian MacBrayne. It entered service in 1995, is 100 metres in length, and can make the crossing in two hours and forty-five minutes.<br /> <br /> The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It was founded in 1788 as a planned village, designed for the British Fisheries Society by Thomas Telford. Although the herring fishing industry declined in the nineteenth century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a><br />