Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ullapool Coastguard Rocket Launcher
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0543
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40328
KEYWORDS
Ullapool Coastguard
coastguards
fishing boats
Ullapool
herring
The Brtish Fisheries Society
Loch Broom
Ullapool Coastguard Rocket Launcher

This photograph shows an example of a rocket launcher, used by Ullapool Coastguard. Ullapool was laid out in 1788 on the shore of the west coast sea loch, Loch Broom. The British Fisheries Society was behind the plan which aimed to take advantage of the herring shoals in the area, and indeed the village expanded throughout the early 19th century, until the herring deserted Loch Broom. Ullapool was deprived of its main industry and was brought close to collapse, only its harbour ensuring its survival.

The harbour has been used by East coast trawlers fishing the Minch and the factory ships of Eastern Europe, while the car ferry from Stornoway on Lewis and improved road links to Inverness bring a steady influx of visitors.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ullapool Coastguard Rocket Launcher

ROSS: Lochbroom

Ullapool Coastguard; coastguards; fishing boats; Ullapool; herring; The Brtish Fisheries Society; Loch Broom

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph shows an example of a rocket launcher, used by Ullapool Coastguard. Ullapool was laid out in 1788 on the shore of the west coast sea loch, Loch Broom. The British Fisheries Society was behind the plan which aimed to take advantage of the herring shoals in the area, and indeed the village expanded throughout the early 19th century, until the herring deserted Loch Broom. Ullapool was deprived of its main industry and was brought close to collapse, only its harbour ensuring its survival. <br /> <br /> The harbour has been used by East coast trawlers fishing the Minch and the factory ships of Eastern Europe, while the car ferry from Stornoway on Lewis and improved road links to Inverness bring a steady influx of visitors. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a><br />