Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Children outside the school at Isle Martin
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0629
PLACENAME
Isle Martin
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
DATE OF IMAGE
1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40387
KEYWORDS
Isle Martin
Summer Isles
schools
St Martin
fishing
crofting
Children outside the school at Isle Martin

This photograph was taken in June 1949 and shows three children standing on the steps of the school at Isle Martin. From left to right are James Boa, Norah Campbell and Christine Boa.

Isle Martin forms part of the Summer Isles and is the nearest of the islands to the mainland at Ullapool. It was named after St Martin, who is reputed to have established a monastery on the island in the fourth century. By the eighteenth century a thriving fishing industry sprung up on the island, and as many as a hundred people resided there. Crofting went hand in hand with the fishing industry and cattle and sheep grazing predominated, with only a small amount of land set aside for arable usage.

In 1979, the island was gifted by Monica Goldsmith to the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds), who, after twenty years of overseeing the island, gifted it in 1999 to a trust formed by the communities of Loch Broom and Coigach. The island is presently uninhabited.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Children outside the school at Isle Martin

ROSS: Lochbroom

1940s

Isle Martin; Summer Isles; schools; St Martin; fishing; crofting

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph was taken in June 1949 and shows three children standing on the steps of the school at Isle Martin. From left to right are James Boa, Norah Campbell and Christine Boa. <br /> <br /> Isle Martin forms part of the Summer Isles and is the nearest of the islands to the mainland at Ullapool. It was named after St Martin, who is reputed to have established a monastery on the island in the fourth century. By the eighteenth century a thriving fishing industry sprung up on the island, and as many as a hundred people resided there. Crofting went hand in hand with the fishing industry and cattle and sheep grazing predominated, with only a small amount of land set aside for arable usage. <br /> <br /> In 1979, the island was gifted by Monica Goldsmith to the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds), who, after twenty years of overseeing the island, gifted it in 1999 to a trust formed by the communities of Loch Broom and Coigach. The island is presently uninhabited. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a>