Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Pier, Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0730
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40465
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
harbours
The Pier, Ullapool

This postcard shows the pier at Ullapool. Barrels, fishing boats and a steamer ship can be seen in the background. The tall building on the left of the photograph probably dates back to 1789 and was originally known as the 'Great Store'. It was one of the many warehouses erected when the village was set up by the British Fisheries Society.

Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Pier, Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

fishing industry; harbours

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard shows the pier at Ullapool. Barrels, fishing boats and a steamer ship can be seen in the background. The tall building on the left of the photograph probably dates back to 1789 and was originally known as the 'Great Store'. It was one of the many warehouses erected when the village was set up by the British Fisheries Society.<br /> <br /> Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a>