Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Quay Street and Pier, Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0731
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40466
KEYWORDS
clocks
planned villages
Quay Street and Pier, Ullapool

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Pier at Ullapool. Herring barrels and boat masts can be seen in the background. Standing in the road is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.

Ullapool was developed as a fishing station in 1788 by the British Fisheries Society. At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Quay Street and Pier, Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

clocks; planned villages

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Pier at Ullapool. Herring barrels and boat masts can be seen in the background. Standing in the road is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.<br /> <br /> Ullapool was developed as a fishing station in 1788 by the British Fisheries Society. At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a>