Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View of Ullapool, Lochbroom
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0746
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
DATE OF IMAGE
1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40480
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
fishing boats
planned villages
View of Ullapool, Lochbroom

This photograph shows a view of Ullapool from Altnaharrie. Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View of Ullapool, Lochbroom

ROSS: Lochbroom

1940s

fishing industry; fishing boats; planned villages

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph shows a view of Ullapool from Altnaharrie. Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a>