Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
SS Claymore at Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
ULMPH_2000_0884
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Ullapool Museum
ASSET ID
40561
KEYWORDS
ferries
steam ships
SS Claymore at Ullapool

A view of the S.S. Claymore at Ullapool Pier, Ullapool.

The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver.

From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans were drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These plans were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Ullapool Museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

SS Claymore at Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

ferries; steam ships

Ullapool Museum

Ullapool Museum Photographic Collection

A view of the S.S. Claymore at Ullapool Pier, Ullapool. <br /> <br /> The S.S. Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was launched in 1881 with a tonnage of 726, and has been described as an attractive and distinctive ship. The Claymore was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver.<br /> <br /> From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises. She replaced the Sheila for a time when the latter went aground in 1927, but by late 1929, MacBrayne's considered withdrawing the old flagship of their general purpose fleet. She was reprieved for a year and plans were drawn up to convert her into a floating hotel. These plans were abandoned and the ship was sold in 1931 for £75 and scrapped. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: curator@ullapoolmuseum.co.uk">Ullapool Museum</a>