Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Clan Cameron Gathering at Achnacarry House, 2009
EXTERNAL ID
Z_AB_CLAN_CAMERON_GATHERING_2009_04
PLACENAME
Achnacarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
40801
KEYWORDS
clans
clan events
houses
castles
Clan Cameron Highlight
Clan Cameron Gathering at Achnacarry House, 2009

This photograph was taken at the Clan Cameron Gathering at Achnacarry House on 1 August 2009.

Until the mid-18th century the purpose of a clan gathering was usually to celebrate the end of the harvest, to attend a council to transact clan business, or to prepare for a 'creach' (to pillage and plunder). More recently, clan gatherings are a celebration of kinship.

Achnacarry House (sometimes referred to as Achnacarry Castle), situated between Loch Long and Loch Lochy, has been the seat of the Camerons of Lochiel since the 1660s. The original building was destroyed in 1746 by men under the command of Captain George Munro of Culcairn as a penalty for Lochiel's part in the '45. Construction of the new house, designed by James Gillespie Graham, began in 1802 but was not completed until 1835-7.

During World War II the house and grounds were used as a training centre for British Commandos, US Rangers and soldiers of other allied armies

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Clan Cameron Gathering at Achnacarry House, 2009

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

2000s

clans; clan events; houses; castles; Clan Cameron Highlight

Am Baile

Clan Cameron Gathering, 2009

This photograph was taken at the Clan Cameron Gathering at Achnacarry House on 1 August 2009.<br /> <br /> Until the mid-18th century the purpose of a clan gathering was usually to celebrate the end of the harvest, to attend a council to transact clan business, or to prepare for a 'creach' (to pillage and plunder). More recently, clan gatherings are a celebration of kinship.<br /> <br /> Achnacarry House (sometimes referred to as Achnacarry Castle), situated between Loch Long and Loch Lochy, has been the seat of the Camerons of Lochiel since the 1660s. The original building was destroyed in 1746 by men under the command of Captain George Munro of Culcairn as a penalty for Lochiel's part in the '45. Construction of the new house, designed by James Gillespie Graham, began in 1802 but was not completed until 1835-7.<br /> <br /> During World War II the house and grounds were used as a training centre for British Commandos, US Rangers and soldiers of other allied armies