Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Inverness Town House - Windows 3

These stained glass windows are in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall, on the west wall.

At the top are crests, shields and mottos of three of the most prominent families in the area. They are, from left to right, Chisholm, Fraser of Lovat and Forbes of Culloden.

Below are symbols relating to book keeping, agriculture, military service, industry, law and medicine.

On the wall are two Andreas Ferrara swords. The one on the left was wielded by a member of the Clan Chisholm at the battle of Sheriffmuir. The other belonged to Hugh MacPhail Chisholm of Strathglass, who fought at Culloden. He was one of the seven men of Glenmoriston who sheltered Prince Charles Edward Stewart after the battle.

The busts are of Colin Lyon Mackenzie Esquire of St Martins, Provost 1855-1867, 1873-1875 and Alexander Penrose Hay. Alexander Penrose Hay, Postmaster of Inverness 1853 -1887 and Town Chamberlain of Inverness 1862 - 1892.

The regency style chandelier dates from 1957 and is on loan from the Northern Meeting Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Town House - Windows 3

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s;1880s

Inverness Town House; stained glass windows; crests; shields; mottos; Chisholms; Fraser of Lovat; Forbes of Culloden; swords; Andreas Ferrara; Sheriffmuir; Hugh Macphail Chisholm; Culloden; Glenmoriston; Colin Lyon Mackenzie; provosts; Penrose Hay

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

These stained glass windows are in Inverness Town House, in the Main Hall, on the west wall.<br /> <br /> At the top are crests, shields and mottos of three of the most prominent families in the area. They are, from left to right, Chisholm, Fraser of Lovat and Forbes of Culloden.<br /> <br /> Below are symbols relating to book keeping, agriculture, military service, industry, law and medicine.<br /> <br /> On the wall are two Andreas Ferrara swords. The one on the left was wielded by a member of the Clan Chisholm at the battle of Sheriffmuir. The other belonged to Hugh MacPhail Chisholm of Strathglass, who fought at Culloden. He was one of the seven men of Glenmoriston who sheltered Prince Charles Edward Stewart after the battle.<br /> <br /> The busts are of Colin Lyon Mackenzie Esquire of St Martins, Provost 1855-1867, 1873-1875 and Alexander Penrose Hay. Alexander Penrose Hay, Postmaster of Inverness 1853 -1887 and Town Chamberlain of Inverness 1862 - 1892.<br /> <br /> The regency style chandelier dates from 1957 and is on loan from the Northern Meeting Society.