Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Anne's Episcopal Church, Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1116_AT
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
41621
KEYWORDS
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
churches
Scottish Episcopal Church
Episcopalian
Episcopalianism
spa towns
spa resorts
Coinneach Odhar
seers
second sight
predictions
foretelling
airships
buildings
architecture
St Anne's Episcopal Church, Strathpeffer

St Anne's was built as a sister church to St James' in Dingwall and the two remain closely linked. Designed by John Robertson, the church was built on land donated by Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie, with stone quarried on her estate. The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1891 and the church officially consecrated in 1900.

The bells at St. Anne's are a 'carillon' comprising eight tubular bells struck by wooden-headed hammers operated by one person. They were restored for the millennium by a member of the congregation. The pulpit is made of Caen stone and alabaster, while the high altar is of marble and alabaster and there are some stained glass windows.

St Anne's is associated with one of the prophecies of the Brahan Seer, who is said to have predicted that 'when five spires should rise in Strathpeffer, ships will sail over the village and anchor to them.' The proposal to build an Episcopal Church in Strathpeffer brought objections, for in the 19th century there were already four spires in the village. But the church was built anyway, complete with spire.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Anne's Episcopal Church, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

2000s

Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; churches; Scottish Episcopal Church; Episcopalian; Episcopalianism; spa towns; spa resorts; Coinneach Odhar; seers; second sight; predictions; foretelling; airships; buildings; architecture

Andrew Taylor

St Anne's was built as a sister church to St James' in Dingwall and the two remain closely linked. Designed by John Robertson, the church was built on land donated by Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie, with stone quarried on her estate. The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1891 and the church officially consecrated in 1900. <br /> <br /> The bells at St. Anne's are a 'carillon' comprising eight tubular bells struck by wooden-headed hammers operated by one person. They were restored for the millennium by a member of the congregation. The pulpit is made of Caen stone and alabaster, while the high altar is of marble and alabaster and there are some stained glass windows.<br /> <br /> St Anne's is associated with one of the prophecies of the Brahan Seer, who is said to have predicted that 'when five spires should rise in Strathpeffer, ships will sail over the village and anchor to them.' The proposal to build an Episcopal Church in Strathpeffer brought objections, for in the 19th century there were already four spires in the village. But the church was built anyway, complete with spire.