Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Silverfjord Hotel, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5687_AT
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
41634
KEYWORDS
Badenoch
building
buildings
Silverfjord Hotel, Kingussie

This photograph shows the Silverfjord Hotel in Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness.

Prior to the mid-to-late 18th century the principal settlement in this area was Ruthven, located on the opposite side of the River Spey to Kingussie. There had been a castle at Ruthven since at least the 14th century, this being replaced in 1724 by Ruthven Barracks, which was burned by Jacobite forces in 1746 and thereafter abandoned.

Ruthven's decline was compounded by the building of a bridge over the Spey at Ralia which superseded the ferry at Ruthven, and by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish Kingussie as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Silverfjord Hotel, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

2000s

Badenoch; building; buildings

Andrew Taylor

This photograph shows the Silverfjord Hotel in Kingussie, a village located approximately 70 km south of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Prior to the mid-to-late 18th century the principal settlement in this area was Ruthven, located on the opposite side of the River Spey to Kingussie. There had been a castle at Ruthven since at least the 14th century, this being replaced in 1724 by Ruthven Barracks, which was burned by Jacobite forces in 1746 and thereafter abandoned.<br /> <br /> Ruthven's decline was compounded by the building of a bridge over the Spey at Ralia which superseded the ferry at Ruthven, and by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish Kingussie as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.