Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Victoria Hall, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_5690_AT
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
41635
KEYWORDS
Badenoch
building
buildings
Victoria Hall, Kingussie

Victoria Hall, in Spey Street, was designed by William MacKintosh and completed in 1888. The Camanachd Association, shinty's ruling body, was formed at a meeting held in the Victoria Hall on 10th October 1893.

Kingussie in its modern form was brought about by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish the village as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Victoria Hall, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

2000s

Badenoch; building; buildings

Andrew Taylor

Victoria Hall, in Spey Street, was designed by William MacKintosh and completed in 1888. The Camanachd Association, shinty's ruling body, was formed at a meeting held in the Victoria Hall on 10th October 1893.<br /> <br /> Kingussie in its modern form was brought about by the Duke of Gordon's decision at the end of the 18th century to establish the village as a centre of woollen manufacture. The Duke of Gordon, the then owner of the Kingussie estate, created a planned village and set up a number of mills, in 1799 advertising plots for sale in the village to "Tradesmen, Manufacturers and Shop-keepers who may be inclined to settle there". The attempted enterprise was unsuccessful and growth was limited, but the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway in 1863, which passed through Kingussie, brought new prosperity and development to the village.