Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara
EXTERNAL ID
QZP99_97107_04_12_AT
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
41639
KEYWORDS
estates
buildings
crofting
Balmacara

The Balmacara Estate is a crofting estate of over 6,700 acres on the west coast of Scotland. It includes the townships of Plockton, Balmacara, Badicaul, Erbusaig, Drumbuie, Duirinish, Port an Eorna, Port na Cloich, Kirkton and part of Kyle of Lochalsh.

The estate was owned by the MacKenzies of Seaforth until 1807, then by Sir Hugh Innes. It was sold to Alexander Matheson, Member of Parliament for Ardross, in 1853 and to Sir Daniel Hamilton in 1919. When Sir Daniel died he left the estate to his wife Margaret on the understanding that she would leave the it to the National Trust for Scotland when she died. The Trust inherited Balmacara on Lady Hamilton's death in 1946.

The centre of the estate is Balmacara Square which housed the estate office and the home farm

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara

2000s

estates; buildings; crofting;

Andrew Taylor

The Balmacara Estate is a crofting estate of over 6,700 acres on the west coast of Scotland. It includes the townships of Plockton, Balmacara, Badicaul, Erbusaig, Drumbuie, Duirinish, Port an Eorna, Port na Cloich, Kirkton and part of Kyle of Lochalsh.<br /> <br /> The estate was owned by the MacKenzies of Seaforth until 1807, then by Sir Hugh Innes. It was sold to Alexander Matheson, Member of Parliament for Ardross, in 1853 and to Sir Daniel Hamilton in 1919. When Sir Daniel died he left the estate to his wife Margaret on the understanding that she would leave the it to the National Trust for Scotland when she died. The Trust inherited Balmacara on Lady Hamilton's death in 1946.<br /> <br /> The centre of the estate is Balmacara Square which housed the estate office and the home farm