Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MacLeod Enclosure, St Maelrubha's Church, Eynort, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_030_0856
PLACENAME
Eynort
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Bracadale
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
41648
KEYWORDS
Eynort Church
St Maol Rubha
Macleods of Talisker
MacLeod Enclosure, St Maelrubha's Church, Eynort, Skye

The site of the chapel and church at Borline, Eynort, has long been associated with St Maelrubha, who also had a presence in several other locations on Skye and Lochaber. The church is sometimes known as Kilmory or Eynort church. A font and part of an elaborately carved cross were found on the site, the latter serving as a gravestone before its removal for safe keeping. Both objects have significant religious carvings, while the graveyard itself contains interesting monuments.



The bodies of the deceased, including the MacLeods of Talisker, a cadet branch of the Dunvegan clan, were brought to this graveyard by sea due to its remote location on Loch Eynort, on the west coast of Skye. The MacLeods were interred in the chapel, which has thick rubble walls and probably dates from the late medieval period. It was a ruin by 1792, and a new church was built to the west. This dates from the late 17th or early 18th century, but it too is in a ruinous condition.

The remains of both buildings were consolidated and the cemetery tidied up in the 1990s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MacLeod Enclosure, St Maelrubha's Church, Eynort, Skye

INVERNESS: Bracadale

1970s

Eynort Church; St Maol Rubha; Macleods of Talisker

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The site of the chapel and church at Borline, Eynort, has long been associated with St Maelrubha, who also had a presence in several other locations on Skye and Lochaber. The church is sometimes known as Kilmory or Eynort church. A font and part of an elaborately carved cross were found on the site, the latter serving as a gravestone before its removal for safe keeping. Both objects have significant religious carvings, while the graveyard itself contains interesting monuments.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> The bodies of the deceased, including the MacLeods of Talisker, a cadet branch of the Dunvegan clan, were brought to this graveyard by sea due to its remote location on Loch Eynort, on the west coast of Skye. The MacLeods were interred in the chapel, which has thick rubble walls and probably dates from the late medieval period. It was a ruin by 1792, and a new church was built to the west. This dates from the late 17th or early 18th century, but it too is in a ruinous condition. <br /> <br /> The remains of both buildings were consolidated and the cemetery tidied up in the 1990s.