Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
School Teachers of Miller Academy with Rector Murison c.1925
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_THUFM_PH052
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
4179
KEYWORDS
teachers
schools
School Teachers of Miller Academy with Rector Murison c.1925

A photograph of the teaching staff of Miller Academy, Thurso in the 1920s.

The Miller Institution, built between 1859 and 1862, was founded by Alexander Miller. Miller, a Thurso native, was a merchant in the town before he turned to farming. He inherited a sizeable inheritance from his uncle, a South American merchant, and this helped him to establish the Institution. Miller's second cousin, the Rev. Dr. Alexander Miller, minister of the South United Free Church of Buckie, Banffshire, was also a benefactor of the Institution.

The original building was extended in 1892 and in 1900 a second building, which is still part of the school, was erected. At the time of writing (2010) it is home to Thurso public library.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

School Teachers of Miller Academy with Rector Murison c.1925

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1920s

teachers; schools

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

A photograph of the teaching staff of Miller Academy, Thurso in the 1920s.<br /> <br /> The Miller Institution, built between 1859 and 1862, was founded by Alexander Miller. Miller, a Thurso native, was a merchant in the town before he turned to farming. He inherited a sizeable inheritance from his uncle, a South American merchant, and this helped him to establish the Institution. Miller's second cousin, the Rev. Dr. Alexander Miller, minister of the South United Free Church of Buckie, Banffshire, was also a benefactor of the Institution.<br /> <br /> The original building was extended in 1892 and in 1900 a second building, which is still part of the school, was erected. At the time of writing (2010) it is home to Thurso public library. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />