Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MacBrayne's steamer "Claymore" at Lochinver
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_2_1_02
PLACENAME
Lochinver
DISTRICT
Assynt
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Assynt
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
41802
KEYWORDS
steamers
ferries
ships
MacBrayne's steamer "Claymore" at Lochinver

Built by J & G Thomson at Clydebank in 1881, the Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver. From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MacBrayne's steamer "Claymore" at Lochinver

SUTHERLAND: Assynt

steamers; ferries; ships

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

Built by J & G Thomson at Clydebank in 1881, the Claymore was the first ship to be commissioned by David MacBrayne. She was used all year round, as an all-purpose vessel, mainly on the Glasgow-Stornoway route via Gairloch, Poolewe, Aultbea and Lochinver. From 1918 she concentrated on the Skye and mainland route carrying cargo, but was also used for 10-day passenger cruises.