Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loading the steamer, possibly the SS Dunara Castle, at Lochskipport
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_2_5_06
PLACENAME
Lochskipport
DISTRICT
South Uist
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: South Uist
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
41818
KEYWORDS
ferries
steamers
piers
Loading the steamer, possibly the SS Dunara Castle, at Lochskipport

Loading the steamer, possibly the SS "Dunara Castle", at Lochskipport, South Uist sometime in the early 20th century.

The S.S. Dunara Castle, named after a ruined castle on the north west coast of Mull, was built by Martin Orme. Her maiden voyage was on 21st July 1875. The 423 ton steamer originally had two funnels, but was refunnelled in 1899. As well as carrying cargo the Dunara Castle had accommodation for 44 cabin class passengers. She sailed weekly between Glasgow and the Hebrides in the summer months, and during the high season the trips were extended to St. Kilda. She was used in the evacuation of St Kilda residents in 1930. Most of the crew were Gaelic speakers from the Highlands and Islands, with three generations of one family serving on the steamer. The Dunara was scrapped in Glasgow in 1948 after 70 years of service.

South Uist is the second largest of the Western Isles measuring over 20 miles long and around seven miles wide. The west coast of the island is almost entirely beach with a strip of fertile machair land behind the sand. The east side of the island has a strip of mountains including Beinn Mhor and Hecla. Loch Skipport, Loch Eynort and Loch Boisdale are the three major sea lochs that indent the east coast. The island is joined to both Benbecula and Eriskay by causeways.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loading the steamer, possibly the SS Dunara Castle, at Lochskipport

INVERNESS: South Uist

1900s; 1910s

ferries; steamers; piers

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

Loading the steamer, possibly the SS "Dunara Castle", at Lochskipport, South Uist sometime in the early 20th century. <br /> <br /> The S.S. Dunara Castle, named after a ruined castle on the north west coast of Mull, was built by Martin Orme. Her maiden voyage was on 21st July 1875. The 423 ton steamer originally had two funnels, but was refunnelled in 1899. As well as carrying cargo the Dunara Castle had accommodation for 44 cabin class passengers. She sailed weekly between Glasgow and the Hebrides in the summer months, and during the high season the trips were extended to St. Kilda. She was used in the evacuation of St Kilda residents in 1930. Most of the crew were Gaelic speakers from the Highlands and Islands, with three generations of one family serving on the steamer. The Dunara was scrapped in Glasgow in 1948 after 70 years of service.<br /> <br /> South Uist is the second largest of the Western Isles measuring over 20 miles long and around seven miles wide. The west coast of the island is almost entirely beach with a strip of fertile machair land behind the sand. The east side of the island has a strip of mountains including Beinn Mhor and Hecla. Loch Skipport, Loch Eynort and Loch Boisdale are the three major sea lochs that indent the east coast. The island is joined to both Benbecula and Eriskay by causeways.