Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Herring Drifters, Wick
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_THUFM_PH099
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
4232
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
harbours
fishing fleet
Herring Drifters, Wick

Photograph showing herring drifters preparing to leave Wick harbour. The vessel in the foreground is the Herring Drifter "Owner's Delight."

In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour.

The fishing boats employed around 6000 fishermen and provided work for an additional 6000 workers, including women who gutted, salted and layered the herring.

Failure to attempt to conserve stock contributed to the herring being fished out by the early 1900s. By 1930 there were less than 30 fishing boats working out of the harbour.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Herring Drifters, Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

fishing industry; harbours; fishing fleet

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

Photograph showing herring drifters preparing to leave Wick harbour. The vessel in the foreground is the Herring Drifter "Owner's Delight."<br /> <br /> In 1768, Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster built a quay at Wick in order to promote the town as a herring fishing centre. Progress was made with the intervention of the British Fisheries Society, harbour improvements made by Thomas Telford in 1810 and the building of an additional pier in 1831. The industry reached its peak between 1860 and 1890, when as many as 1000 boats were based at the harbour. <br /> <br /> The fishing boats employed around 6000 fishermen and provided work for an additional 6000 workers, including women who gutted, salted and layered the herring. <br /> <br /> Failure to attempt to conserve stock contributed to the herring being fished out by the early 1900s. By 1930 there were less than 30 fishing boats working out of the harbour. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />