Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Opening of Dornie Bridge, April 1940
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_11_2_014
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
30 April 1940
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
42482
KEYWORDS
bridges
Opening of Dornie Bridge, April 1940

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh was officially opened on 30th April 1940. The bridge, spanning from Ardelve to Dornie, replaced the ferry which served these two communities and Totaig. The bridge did not reach construction without controversy, and as early as 20 years previously a committee was formed to examine the transport problems in the west. Duncan Macpherson, who took this photograph, and represented Lochalsh on the District Council, talks in his book, Gateway to Skye, of his proposal to extend the existing road through Glen Cannich to meet with the Inverness road. Local politics, politicians and county boundaries all became involved, with one MP suggesting to Macpherson it would be easier to alter the boundaries of a county, than to get the council to agree to building a road.
As an alternative to extending roads, another proposal was put forward, to build a bridge over Loch Long, this proposed by the councillor from Glen Shiel. Put to a vote, the bridge proposal won the day. Finally, after years of argument, and with the construction completed in record time, providing quick access to the naval base of Kyle of Lochalsh in wartime, the bridge opened. The controversy didn't end there though, as a toll was collected for each crossing. With only one toll operater employed, local users soon began to arrange crossings at night and on Sundays. The tolls were abolished in 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Opening of Dornie Bridge, April 1940

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

bridges

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

Dornie Bridge, situated at the meeting of Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh was officially opened on 30th April 1940. The bridge, spanning from Ardelve to Dornie, replaced the ferry which served these two communities and Totaig. The bridge did not reach construction without controversy, and as early as 20 years previously a committee was formed to examine the transport problems in the west. Duncan Macpherson, who took this photograph, and represented Lochalsh on the District Council, talks in his book, Gateway to Skye, of his proposal to extend the existing road through Glen Cannich to meet with the Inverness road. Local politics, politicians and county boundaries all became involved, with one MP suggesting to Macpherson it would be easier to alter the boundaries of a county, than to get the council to agree to building a road.<br /> As an alternative to extending roads, another proposal was put forward, to build a bridge over Loch Long, this proposed by the councillor from Glen Shiel. Put to a vote, the bridge proposal won the day. Finally, after years of argument, and with the construction completed in record time, providing quick access to the naval base of Kyle of Lochalsh in wartime, the bridge opened. The controversy didn't end there though, as a toll was collected for each crossing. With only one toll operater employed, local users soon began to arrange crossings at night and on Sundays. The tolls were abolished in 1946.