Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Phineas Mackintosh of Drummond
EXTERNAL ID
AB_INVTOWNHOUSE07_50
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1700s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
425
KEYWORDS
Inverness Town House
portraits
provosts
Common Good Fund
Dummond
Campfield
Phineas Mackintosh of Drummond

This portrait of Phineas Mackintosh of Drummond hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Council Chamber.

Phineas Mackintosh served as Provost four times; from 1770 to 1773, 1776 to 1779, 1782 to 1785, and 1788 to 1791.

Phineas Mackintosh was born in 1725. His parents had lost a number of children in infancy and resolved not to call him by a traditional family name but chose a name randomly from the Bible.

Provost Mackintosh seems to have been involved in some dodgy dealing.

Land owned by the Burgh, along with the revenue from it, became the Common Good Fund. In 1833 a Royal Commission on Municipal Corporations on Scotland reported that in 1783, the land of Drummond, owned by the Burgh, had been sold at less than its value to Provost Mackintosh. In 1796 land called Campfield, which adjoined Drummond, and which was also Burgh land, was acquired by a councillor, who had been Provost. The land was described in the council minutes as being barren which was substantially untrue and that it therefore had also been sold at less than its value. The purchaser was Phineas Mackintosh. It was also alleged that a higher offer had been made and refused.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Phineas Mackintosh of Drummond

1700s

Inverness Town House; portraits; provosts; Common Good Fund; Dummond; Campfield

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This portrait of Phineas Mackintosh of Drummond hangs in Inverness Town House, in the Council Chamber.<br /> <br /> Phineas Mackintosh served as Provost four times; from 1770 to 1773, 1776 to 1779, 1782 to 1785, and 1788 to 1791.<br /> <br /> Phineas Mackintosh was born in 1725. His parents had lost a number of children in infancy and resolved not to call him by a traditional family name but chose a name randomly from the Bible. <br /> <br /> Provost Mackintosh seems to have been involved in some dodgy dealing.<br /> <br /> Land owned by the Burgh, along with the revenue from it, became the Common Good Fund. In 1833 a Royal Commission on Municipal Corporations on Scotland reported that in 1783, the land of Drummond, owned by the Burgh, had been sold at less than its value to Provost Mackintosh. In 1796 land called Campfield, which adjoined Drummond, and which was also Burgh land, was acquired by a councillor, who had been Provost. The land was described in the council minutes as being barren which was substantially untrue and that it therefore had also been sold at less than its value. The purchaser was Phineas Mackintosh. It was also alleged that a higher offer had been made and refused.