Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lambing, Bracadale, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_13_003_006
PLACENAME
Bracadale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Bracadale
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
42575
KEYWORDS
livestock
animal husbandry
A.W.Nicolson
Lambing, Bracadale, Isle of Skye

A group of men are shown here gathered at the fank at Bracadale, Isle of Skye.

The fank becomes the central point of the crofting township at different times in the year. The sheep are out on pasture and hill land throughout the year, and gathered to the fank for shearing, clipping, dipping and marking. The fanks are constructed of stone or concrete blocks, with gates to different enclosures to hold the livestock and move them about.

Bracadale is a crofting township in the west of the Isle of Skye, near Struan.

The men pictured here are, from left to right, Peter Campbell, Iain MacKinnon (holding lamb), Bill Streeton (behind), Duncan Stewart and Calum MacLeod (behind the wall), and Ali Willie Nicolson (in front).

Ali Willie Nicolson was very well known in the community, running various businesses including the Bracadale stores, a guest house, acting as local registrar, and driving the school bus. He is probably best known as editor of 'The Clarion of Skye', a monthly newspaper, which ran from 1951 until May 1957. With its famous strapline, 'Onward Skye! Queen of the West', the newspaper provided Nicolson with a platform to urge the Skye people to claim their rights, take charge of their future, and solve their problems by 'their own initiative'.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lambing, Bracadale, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Bracadale

1950s

livestock; animal husbandry; A.W.Nicolson

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

A group of men are shown here gathered at the fank at Bracadale, Isle of Skye. <br /> <br /> The fank becomes the central point of the crofting township at different times in the year. The sheep are out on pasture and hill land throughout the year, and gathered to the fank for shearing, clipping, dipping and marking. The fanks are constructed of stone or concrete blocks, with gates to different enclosures to hold the livestock and move them about.<br /> <br /> Bracadale is a crofting township in the west of the Isle of Skye, near Struan. <br /> <br /> The men pictured here are, from left to right, Peter Campbell, Iain MacKinnon (holding lamb), Bill Streeton (behind), Duncan Stewart and Calum MacLeod (behind the wall), and Ali Willie Nicolson (in front). <br /> <br /> Ali Willie Nicolson was very well known in the community, running various businesses including the Bracadale stores, a guest house, acting as local registrar, and driving the school bus. He is probably best known as editor of 'The Clarion of Skye', a monthly newspaper, which ran from 1951 until May 1957. With its famous strapline, 'Onward Skye! Queen of the West', the newspaper provided Nicolson with a platform to urge the Skye people to claim their rights, take charge of their future, and solve their problems by 'their own initiative'.