Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Viewfield House Hotel, Portree, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_13_005_012
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
42582
KEYWORDS
legal firms
great houses
Viewfield House Hotel, Portree, Isle of Skye

Viewfield House in Portree, Isle of Skye, was built c1790 for Lord Macdonald's factor. Harry Macdonald took over the lease from the Macdonald Estate in 1846. Macdonald founded the legal firm of Macdonald and Fraser in Portree and married the daughter of Dr Alexander Macleod (An Dotair Ban). One of their sons, also Harry, took over the mansion in 1885 and began an ambitious programme of remodelling. The renowned architect, Alexander Ross, was responsible for the addition of the crenelated tower, porte cochère and the large drawing room wing.

The Macdonald family fortune had been made in the indigo and tea plantations of India. Harry's only surviving son, Col Jock Macdonald, returned to Portree with his wife Evelyn in 1948 to take over the family home. The money soon ran out and by 1954 financial necessity saw the couple open the house to paying guests. The freehold on Viewfield was purchased from Lord Macdonald's Estate in 1976.

It is still run by the family as a guest house.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Viewfield House Hotel, Portree, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s

legal firms; great houses

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

Viewfield House in Portree, Isle of Skye, was built c1790 for Lord Macdonald's factor. Harry Macdonald took over the lease from the Macdonald Estate in 1846. Macdonald founded the legal firm of Macdonald and Fraser in Portree and married the daughter of Dr Alexander Macleod (An Dotair Ban). One of their sons, also Harry, took over the mansion in 1885 and began an ambitious programme of remodelling. The renowned architect, Alexander Ross, was responsible for the addition of the crenelated tower, porte cochère and the large drawing room wing.<br /> <br /> The Macdonald family fortune had been made in the indigo and tea plantations of India. Harry's only surviving son, Col Jock Macdonald, returned to Portree with his wife Evelyn in 1948 to take over the family home. The money soon ran out and by 1954 financial necessity saw the couple open the house to paying guests. The freehold on Viewfield was purchased from Lord Macdonald's Estate in 1976. <br /> <br /> It is still run by the family as a guest house.