Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Car and passengers at Stromeferry, 1921
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_13_007_022
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
42603
KEYWORDS
cars
motor vehicles
tourists
piers
Car and passengers at Stromeferry, 1921

This photograph was taken at Stromeferry. The car, with its top down on a lovely day, has likely just come off the ferry which crossed Loch Carron. The car has packing cases strapped on the back and extra tins of petrol on the side.


In the earliest days of the ferry service only one car at a time could be taken across the near half-mile stretch of water. The cars were driven on to wooden planks which were placed across the vessel and were then secured with ropes.



Stromeferry is on the southern shore of Loch Carron, with the crossing point at the narrows from Stromeferry to North Strome. The original small settlement expanded when the Highland Railway line from Dingwall and Inverness was built in 1870. This had Stromeferry as its terminus and its arrival meant that steamers carrying mail, goods and passengers to and from the Hebrides began calling more frequently.

However, in 1897, the railway line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh and much of the associated business went there as well. Stromeferry declined in importance although the ferry continued until the early 1970s, when it became unviable. The road signs now read: Stromeferry (No Ferry).

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Car and passengers at Stromeferry, 1921

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

cars; motor vehicles; tourists; piers

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph was taken at Stromeferry. The car, with its top down on a lovely day, has likely just come off the ferry which crossed Loch Carron. The car has packing cases strapped on the back and extra tins of petrol on the side. <br /> <br /> <br /> In the earliest days of the ferry service only one car at a time could be taken across the near half-mile stretch of water. The cars were driven on to wooden planks which were placed across the vessel and were then secured with ropes. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Stromeferry is on the southern shore of Loch Carron, with the crossing point at the narrows from Stromeferry to North Strome. The original small settlement expanded when the Highland Railway line from Dingwall and Inverness was built in 1870. This had Stromeferry as its terminus and its arrival meant that steamers carrying mail, goods and passengers to and from the Hebrides began calling more frequently.<br /> <br /> However, in 1897, the railway line was extended to Kyle of Lochalsh and much of the associated business went there as well. Stromeferry declined in importance although the ferry continued until the early 1970s, when it became unviable. The road signs now read: Stromeferry (No Ferry).<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.