Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Donald Macdonald

This portrait of Donald Macdonald hangs in Inverness Town House, in the upstairs corridor. The artist is unknown.

Donald Macdonald was born in Inverness in 1872. He was educated at Inverness High School and Inverness Royal Academy. On leaving school he was apprenticed to the firm of architects, Ross and Macbeath. Six years later he was appointed clerk of works at an extension scheme at Inverness District Asylum. Macdonald then joined the firm of Fraser and Macdonald building contractors, originally founded by his father and Hugh Fraser. He went on to become its senior partner.

Macdonald was a member of the Parish Council, devoting much of his time to the administration of the Poor Law and to the welfare of the inmates of Muirfield Institution. He served on the Town Council for about twelve years during which time he was appointed Dean of Guild and a Bailie. In 1931 Macdonald was elected Provost. He continued to help the poor of the town organising 'hare drives' to raise money and administering what later became known as the Provost's Coal Fund.

Macdonald was interested in sport, supporting Clachnacuddin Football Club and plans to provide the town with playing fields and public baths. He was an Honorary Sheriff Substitute, a Justice of the Peace and a member of the Asylum Board of Control. He was also a freemason and had been a Past Master of St John's Kilwinning.

Provost Donald Macdonald died in office on 1 October 1933 while still in office.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Donald Macdonald

1930s

Inverness Town House; portraits; provosts; architects; building contractors; Town Council; asylums; Muirfield Institution; Coal Fund; football; baths; freemasons

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This portrait of Donald Macdonald hangs in Inverness Town House, in the upstairs corridor. The artist is unknown.<br /> <br /> Donald Macdonald was born in Inverness in 1872. He was educated at Inverness High School and Inverness Royal Academy. On leaving school he was apprenticed to the firm of architects, Ross and Macbeath. Six years later he was appointed clerk of works at an extension scheme at Inverness District Asylum. Macdonald then joined the firm of Fraser and Macdonald building contractors, originally founded by his father and Hugh Fraser. He went on to become its senior partner. <br /> <br /> Macdonald was a member of the Parish Council, devoting much of his time to the administration of the Poor Law and to the welfare of the inmates of Muirfield Institution. He served on the Town Council for about twelve years during which time he was appointed Dean of Guild and a Bailie. In 1931 Macdonald was elected Provost. He continued to help the poor of the town organising 'hare drives' to raise money and administering what later became known as the Provost's Coal Fund.<br /> <br /> Macdonald was interested in sport, supporting Clachnacuddin Football Club and plans to provide the town with playing fields and public baths. He was an Honorary Sheriff Substitute, a Justice of the Peace and a member of the Asylum Board of Control. He was also a freemason and had been a Past Master of St John's Kilwinning.<br /> <br /> Provost Donald Macdonald died in office on 1 October 1933 while still in office.