Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Royal Hotel, Traill Street, Thurso
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_THUFM_PH160
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
4373
KEYWORDS
hotels
Royal Hotel, Traill Street, Thurso

Traill Street in Thurso's 'new town' was named after James Traill of Rattar (1758-1847), Sheriff of Caithness and the man responsible for the development of the Caithness flagstone industry.

The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh.

Construction of Thurso's 'new town', of which Traill Street was a part, began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in contrast to the older streets nearer to Thurso Bay. In 1812, Captain John Henderson in his 'General View of the Agriculture of the County of Caithness' wrote that, "The New Town on Thurso was planned...according to the most regular plan that could be contrived and in a manner not only ornamental but also positively well adapted for preserving the health & promoting the convenience of the Inhabitants".


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Royal Hotel, Traill Street, Thurso

CAITHNESS: Thurso

hotels

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

Traill Street in Thurso's 'new town' was named after James Traill of Rattar (1758-1847), Sheriff of Caithness and the man responsible for the development of the Caithness flagstone industry.<br /> <br /> The town of Thurso was created a burgh of barony in 1633. In 1719 the burgh and the lands of Thurso were obtained by the Sinclairs of Ulbster, and in 1798 Sir John Sinclair (1754-1835), the financier and agriculturalist, laid out a 'new town' adjoining the original medieval burgh. <br /> <br /> Construction of Thurso's 'new town', of which Traill Street was a part, began around 1800. The streets were laid out on a regimented grid-pattern, in contrast to the older streets nearer to Thurso Bay. In 1812, Captain John Henderson in his 'General View of the Agriculture of the County of Caithness' wrote that, "The New Town on Thurso was planned...according to the most regular plan that could be contrived and in a manner not only ornamental but also positively well adapted for preserving the health & promoting the convenience of the Inhabitants". <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />