Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Town House - Windows 9
EXTERNAL ID
AB_INVTOWNHOUSE07_68
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1870s;1880s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
443
KEYWORDS
Inverness Town House
stained glass windows
glass
masons
Coat of Arms
Arms
mottos
crests
heradlry
seals
Dominicans
Friary
Inverness Town House - Windows 9

These stained glass windows are in Inverness Town House on the first landing of the staircase.

The windows are illuminated on the left with the Scottish Coat of Arms, in the middle with the Coat of Arms of the Burgh of Inverness and on the right with the British Coat of Arms.

When the present Town House was being built the Council ran out of money and the glass used for these windows came from the previous town house which had stood on the same spot. The glass was made in Holland in the 1700s and was hand painted. It is some of the earliest municipal glass in Scotland.

The Inverness Burgh Coat of Arms has an image of Christ on the Cross in natural colours on a red shield supported, on the left, by an elephant and, on the right, by a dromedary. The crest is a cornucopia (a horn) filled with flowers. The motto is 'Concordia et Fidelitas' (Concord and Fidelity).

The Crucifix is taken from the first Inverness Burgh seal. Its origin is a seal from a Dominican Friary which was in Inverness from 1233 until the Reformation. All that remains of the Friary is the old burial ground.

The dromedary and the elephant are thought to represent the town's extensive mediaeval trade with the East.

Next to the windows are two wooden panels, dating from 1686. One of the panels bears the earliest representation of the Coat of Arms of the Burgh of Inverness, a dromedary on a red shield supported by two elephants.

In 1683 James Smith, a Master Mason from Edinburgh, was commissioned to cut the Arms in a stone for the bridge then being built. He was given the description of 'Our Saviour on the Cross supported by a dromedary on the dexter and an elephant on the sinister'. Three years later, although he had cut the stone, he was instructed to carve another with a dromedary on the shield supported by two elephants, as on the panel.
Either the Council were not sure of the Arms or possibly did not want to be seen to be supporting Roman Catholicism. The religious policies of the Roman Catholic King James II and VII were not popular. He was finally deposed in 1688 and replaced by protestants William and Mary. In the end the original stone, which bears the date 1686, was used and it is now built in to the west wall of the Town House. The motto is reversed, 'Fidelitas et Concordia'

The Coat of Arms was finally matriculated in 1900. It was in use until 1975 when the burgh became part of Inverness District.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Town House - Windows 9

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s;1880s

Inverness Town House; stained glass windows; glass; masons; Coat of Arms; Arms; mottos; crests; heradlry; seals; Dominicans; Friary

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

These stained glass windows are in Inverness Town House on the first landing of the staircase.<br /> <br /> The windows are illuminated on the left with the Scottish Coat of Arms, in the middle with the Coat of Arms of the Burgh of Inverness and on the right with the British Coat of Arms.<br /> <br /> When the present Town House was being built the Council ran out of money and the glass used for these windows came from the previous town house which had stood on the same spot. The glass was made in Holland in the 1700s and was hand painted. It is some of the earliest municipal glass in Scotland.<br /> <br /> The Inverness Burgh Coat of Arms has an image of Christ on the Cross in natural colours on a red shield supported, on the left, by an elephant and, on the right, by a dromedary. The crest is a cornucopia (a horn) filled with flowers. The motto is 'Concordia et Fidelitas' (Concord and Fidelity).<br /> <br /> The Crucifix is taken from the first Inverness Burgh seal. Its origin is a seal from a Dominican Friary which was in Inverness from 1233 until the Reformation. All that remains of the Friary is the old burial ground.<br /> <br /> The dromedary and the elephant are thought to represent the town's extensive mediaeval trade with the East.<br /> <br /> Next to the windows are two wooden panels, dating from 1686. One of the panels bears the earliest representation of the Coat of Arms of the Burgh of Inverness, a dromedary on a red shield supported by two elephants.<br /> <br /> In 1683 James Smith, a Master Mason from Edinburgh, was commissioned to cut the Arms in a stone for the bridge then being built. He was given the description of 'Our Saviour on the Cross supported by a dromedary on the dexter and an elephant on the sinister'. Three years later, although he had cut the stone, he was instructed to carve another with a dromedary on the shield supported by two elephants, as on the panel. <br /> Either the Council were not sure of the Arms or possibly did not want to be seen to be supporting Roman Catholicism. The religious policies of the Roman Catholic King James II and VII were not popular. He was finally deposed in 1688 and replaced by protestants William and Mary. In the end the original stone, which bears the date 1686, was used and it is now built in to the west wall of the Town House. The motto is reversed, 'Fidelitas et Concordia'<br /> <br /> The Coat of Arms was finally matriculated in 1900. It was in use until 1975 when the burgh became part of Inverness District.