Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
James Robertson

This portrait of Dr James Robertson of Aultnaskiach (Altnaskiach) hangs in Inverness Town House, in the entrance hall, to the left of the staircase. The artist was John Syme, pupil and assistant to Sir Henry Raeburn.

A plaque reads 'In testimony of regard for his private worth; and public usefulness while Chief Magistrate of Inverness. This portrait of James Robertson of Aultnaskiack M. D. was placed here by public subscription of his fellow citizens 1835'

James Robertson was born in 1765, the son of Alexander Robertson, Collector of Excise.

By 1787 Dr Robertson was established as a medical practitioner in Inverness. He feued the lands of Aultnaskiach, which at the time was open moor land, from Davidson of Cantray. The original house faced north and the access was from Godsman's Walk. Dr Roberston closed off this once pleasant promenade much to the consternation of the people of Inverness.

Dr Robertson was for many years a member of the Town Council. He served as Provost from 1816-18, 1824-27 and 1829-31.

From early on Dr Roberston had commercial interests in the town. He was principal partner in the Wine Shop in Bridge Street and the Grocery Shop in High Street.

In 1825 Dr Robertson was one of the founders of 'The Northern Institution for the Promotion of Science and Literature' which existed for 10 years. He was also a Director of the Inverness Royal Academy and of the Caledonian Bank.

Dr Robertson retired in 1830 but he continued to give free medical advice and remained closely associated with the Northern Infirmary.

Dr Robertson died on 27 January 1847.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

James Robertson

1830s

Inverness Town House; portraits; provosts; Aultnaskiach; Altnaskiach; John Syme; doctors; Inverness Town Council; Godsman's; shops; science; literature; Inverness Royal Academy; Caledonian Bank; Royal Northern Infirmary

Am Baile

Inverness Town House 2007

This portrait of Dr James Robertson of Aultnaskiach (Altnaskiach) hangs in Inverness Town House, in the entrance hall, to the left of the staircase. The artist was John Syme, pupil and assistant to Sir Henry Raeburn.<br /> <br /> A plaque reads 'In testimony of regard for his private worth; and public usefulness while Chief Magistrate of Inverness. This portrait of James Robertson of Aultnaskiack M. D. was placed here by public subscription of his fellow citizens 1835'<br /> <br /> James Robertson was born in 1765, the son of Alexander Robertson, Collector of Excise.<br /> <br /> By 1787 Dr Robertson was established as a medical practitioner in Inverness. He feued the lands of Aultnaskiach, which at the time was open moor land, from Davidson of Cantray. The original house faced north and the access was from Godsman's Walk. Dr Roberston closed off this once pleasant promenade much to the consternation of the people of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Dr Robertson was for many years a member of the Town Council. He served as Provost from 1816-18, 1824-27 and 1829-31.<br /> <br /> From early on Dr Roberston had commercial interests in the town. He was principal partner in the Wine Shop in Bridge Street and the Grocery Shop in High Street.<br /> <br /> In 1825 Dr Robertson was one of the founders of 'The Northern Institution for the Promotion of Science and Literature' which existed for 10 years. He was also a Director of the Inverness Royal Academy and of the Caledonian Bank.<br /> <br /> Dr Robertson retired in 1830 but he continued to give free medical advice and remained closely associated with the Northern Infirmary.<br /> <br /> Dr Robertson died on 27 January 1847.