Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Archaeological excavation of the ruins of the Bishop's Palace
EXTERNAL ID
CAITHHORZ_THUFM_PH423
PLACENAME
Scrabster
DISTRICT
Caithness - Western
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
SOURCE
Caithness Horizons
ASSET ID
4762
KEYWORDS
castles
ruins
Archaeological excavation of the ruins of the Bishop's Palace

A photograph of excavations taking place at the Bishop's Palace near Scrabster.

On a low promontory rock rising from the shore about half a mile NW of Thurso, are the fragmentary ruins of a castle of the Bishops of Caithness. The ruins of a wall at the edge of the rock and the foundations of one or two buildings which have surrounded the courtyard are all that remains. A small triangular-headed window enriched with dog-tooth ornament, taken from the ruins, is built into an outbuilding at Scrabster House [the farmhouse at Mains of Thurso].

The earliest record of the castle seems to be in 1328 in an account claimed for keeping the castle of Scrabster during the vacancy of the see. Other mentions are in 1455 for keeping the castle of Scrabstoun, in 1478, and in 1544, when the Earl of Caithness seized it, and in 1557, when John, Earl of Sutherland, was appointed constable. In 1726 it was described as being wholly in ruins.

(Text from the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments Scotland)


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Caithness Horizons

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Archaeological excavation of the ruins of the Bishop's Palace

CAITHNESS: Thurso

castles; ruins

Caithness Horizons

Caithness Horizons

A photograph of excavations taking place at the Bishop's Palace near Scrabster.<br /> <br /> On a low promontory rock rising from the shore about half a mile NW of Thurso, are the fragmentary ruins of a castle of the Bishops of Caithness. The ruins of a wall at the edge of the rock and the foundations of one or two buildings which have surrounded the courtyard are all that remains. A small triangular-headed window enriched with dog-tooth ornament, taken from the ruins, is built into an outbuilding at Scrabster House [the farmhouse at Mains of Thurso]. <br /> <br /> The earliest record of the castle seems to be in 1328 in an account claimed for keeping the castle of Scrabster during the vacancy of the see. Other mentions are in 1455 for keeping the castle of Scrabstoun, in 1478, and in 1544, when the Earl of Caithness seized it, and in 1557, when John, Earl of Sutherland, was appointed constable. In 1726 it was described as being wholly in ruins. <br /> <br /> (Text from the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments Scotland) <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: joannehowdle@caithnesshorizons.co.uk">Caithness Horizons</a><br />