Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sunset over the Bay of Skaill, Sandwick, Orkney
EXTERNAL ID
AB_LL_JOHN_MCGILL_LANDSCAPE
PLACENAME
Sandwick
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
John McGill
SOURCE
John McGill
ASSET ID
483
KEYWORDS
sunsets
bays
Sunset over the Bay of Skaill, Sandwick, Orkney

This photograph shows the view overlooking the Bay of Skaill at Sandwick, Orkney. The remains of the neolithic village of Skara Brae are located on the southern shore of the bay.

Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sunset over the Bay of Skaill, Sandwick, Orkney

2000s

sunsets; bays

John McGill

Creative Commons

This photograph shows the view overlooking the Bay of Skaill at Sandwick, Orkney. The remains of the neolithic village of Skara Brae are located on the southern shore of the bay.<br /> <br /> Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.