Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The School Bell. Inverness Royal Academy
EXTERNAL ID
AB_ROYALACADEMY_002
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Ewen Weatherspoon
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
495
KEYWORDS
schools
educations
bells
buildings
The School Bell. Inverness Royal Academy

The Inverness Royal Academy School Bell is one of a number of items that link the Academy with Inverness Grammar School that preceded it, located in the building known today as the Dunbar Centre in Church Street. The bell was the gift of Hector Fraser, who was Rector of the Grammar School from 1755 to 1777. The inscription on the bell reads:
Ex Dono Hectoris Fraserii Ludimagistri Invernessensis 1756
A Gift of Hector Fraser, Schoolmaster at Inverness, 1756

The Royal Academy opened in 1792 in New Street, now Academy Street. In the Directors' minutes book there is an instruction in 1793 that the bell was to be taken down from the Grammar School, and "put up in such a place in the Academy as they shall find it will be best heard in". A wooden belfry was erected, but by 1832 it needed repair at a cost of £40. This was thought to be too expensive, so a temporary belfry was erected on the janitor's house.

In 1895, the bell was moved to the new school building in the Crown district, where a purpose-built belfry was provided above the front door. It called generations of pupils to their classes at the start of the day and after lunch, except during the War years when the ringing of bells was prohibited, other than in the event of an imminent invasion of the country. Many pupils would plead with the janitor to be allowed to ring the bell from the gallery on the first floor.

The final move for the bell was in 1982, some years after the opening of the new Academy building at Culduthel. The bell was taken down from the Crown building and eventually mounted in a display case specially built by Alan Beattie, who for many years was head of technical subjects at the Academy.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The School Bell. Inverness Royal Academy

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

schools; educations; bells; buildings;

Am Baile

Inverness Royal Academy (photographs)

The Inverness Royal Academy School Bell is one of a number of items that link the Academy with Inverness Grammar School that preceded it, located in the building known today as the Dunbar Centre in Church Street. The bell was the gift of Hector Fraser, who was Rector of the Grammar School from 1755 to 1777. The inscription on the bell reads:<br /> Ex Dono Hectoris Fraserii Ludimagistri Invernessensis 1756<br /> A Gift of Hector Fraser, Schoolmaster at Inverness, 1756<br /> <br /> The Royal Academy opened in 1792 in New Street, now Academy Street. In the Directors' minutes book there is an instruction in 1793 that the bell was to be taken down from the Grammar School, and "put up in such a place in the Academy as they shall find it will be best heard in". A wooden belfry was erected, but by 1832 it needed repair at a cost of £40. This was thought to be too expensive, so a temporary belfry was erected on the janitor's house.<br /> <br /> In 1895, the bell was moved to the new school building in the Crown district, where a purpose-built belfry was provided above the front door. It called generations of pupils to their classes at the start of the day and after lunch, except during the War years when the ringing of bells was prohibited, other than in the event of an imminent invasion of the country. Many pupils would plead with the janitor to be allowed to ring the bell from the gallery on the first floor.<br /> <br /> The final move for the bell was in 1982, some years after the opening of the new Academy building at Culduthel. The bell was taken down from the Crown building and eventually mounted in a display case specially built by Alan Beattie, who for many years was head of technical subjects at the Academy.